Dotcom Support Forums

To post in the forums you need to register and log in .

HomeHomeLicence MasterLicence MasterIntegrating Cli...Integrating Cli...Licensing a support periodLicensing a support period
Previous

Next
New Post
24/10/2011 15:18

Paul-

I have not purchased the module yet, but are planning to in the near future.  I find myself having to come up with a way to handle our license scenerio that I think you have not covered. In our situation, we have

* A license period in which clients pay for a year of support which includes updates of our software as we make new versions available

* Still allow a free trial

* We do not want the software to be unusable after the year is up, just not upgradable (or in other terms, where if they install new versions, it would recognize they were outside their allowable time period and put up the trail message again)

Ideally, you would:

* expose a property that would tell me the date that the support time period ran out.  (the end date entered on the licensing server for that domain's license)

* and/or allow version to date tracking.  This way we could say version x.y.a was launched on 10/1/2011 and any licenses where the end date has past are considered NOT licensed

New Post
27/10/2011 19:37

Hi,

The current version of Licence Master is capable of supporting the scenario you describe. Remember that your application is responsible for implementing the business rules you want around the licence. Licence Master tells the application whether or not the licence is valid for the installation - and if it has expired.

So, you can create a finite licence for your application which allows you to specify a period (and hence expiry date) for the licence. Then, create a custom attribute in Assembly.cs called "PublicationDate" (or similar). Your application can then implement the following rules in the case that the licence has expired:

• if PublicationDate is before or the same as the expiry date, do not display trial banner
  • if PublicationDate is after the expiry date, show trial banner

To enable a free trial edition, you can use dual ApplicationIds in your application. In Assembly.cs, create an extra Guid attribute called "TestApplicationId" or similar. In LicenceMaster, you create a separate application for the trial version using this Id. Your application can then check whether the installed licence key represents a Trial or a Full licence, and can react accordingly. You configure finite licences for the trial version that expire after the period you choose.

Hope that helps!

Dotcom Technical Support

New Post
27/10/2011 20:47

Thanks Paul, I was contriving something very similar and I appreciate the input!

New Post
02/11/2011 23:19

UPDATE

Licence Master v1.2.0 adds a new method to the LicenceMaster.Client.LicensingUtility class that enables you to determine the expiry date of a licence. The expiry date can be compared to the date the module assembly was built as shown in the code below.

private bool LicenceValidForBuild()
        {
            DateTime? expiryDate = LicensingUtility.GetExpiryDate();
            DateTime buildDate = GetBuildDate();
            return expiryDate.HasValue && (buildDate.CompareTo(expiryDate.Value) <= 0);
        }

private DateTime GetBuildDate()
        {
            FileInfo file = new FileInfo(System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly().Location);
            return file.CreationTime;
        }

Dotcom Technical Support

New Post
03/11/2011 17:15

Excellent!  Thank you!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeLicence MasterLicence MasterIntegrating Cli...Integrating Cli...Licensing a support periodLicensing a support period

Search   Home